|“||"Damn right I'm up to something, Harry!" The fist lands on the table again. "I'm gonna make the working man as rich as *Joyce Messier*. That's my job. Just like yours is to keep the peace."||„|
Evrart and Edgar Claire are characters in Disco Elysium.
Born in Martinaise, the twins Evrart and Edgar grew in a situation of poverty with their mother, having only cheap, fat foods to eat, and developing Type 2 diabetes as a result of it. The twins frequented the same school as Leonard Bellec, and were taught Human Studies and History by Gaston Martin in gymnasium. As teens, the twins used to get drunk, sneak out at night, and throw rocks at motor carriages. Distinctly from his brother, Evrart has a lazy eye - amblyopia.
At a certain point, Edgar went to a East Revachol University for political education, while Evrart remained without studies. They made their name in the city around the '30s, when, while competing for the Dockworkers' Union foreman elections, Edgar contacted Iosef Lilianovich Dros, convincing him to serve as a hitman to assassinate their political rival. Ever since then, the brothers have remained in control of the Union, circumventing term limits by switching out for each other after every election.
Although the brothers are said to be corrupt, and often embezzle, they enjoy a great deal of popularity from their supporters, particularly Union members, and are generally seen as a positive influence on Martinaise, using their power to clean out crime and set up infrastructure in the district while the Coalition government and the Revachol Citizens Militia neglected them. At the same time, the brothers' opponents tend to see them with nothing but contempt, and they have a habit of silencing their critics (particularly Gary, the Cryptofascist). The brothers have also sought to maintain absolute authority over the district, muscling out potential rivals, such as a tourism company that attempted to refurbish the area.
Talking with Evrart Claire is required to progress in the investigation towards the lynching of the military contractor. Unless you pass a Volition passive (Challenging 12), the first encounter requires you to sit down in the chair, dealing -1 Health unless you pass a Pain Threshold passive (Challenging 12). It also shows off the impact various skills can have on the conversation.
He will adapt his manner of speaking depending on your alignment and offers one of several ways to get enough money to pay Garte off. The giant novelty cheque is worth ✤ 25.00, but taking it makes you indebted to him.
He will also refer to you as Mr. Du Bois, likely your first exposure to your real name. And taunt you about the gun you lost, promising to help find it. He's actually telling the truth. However, when he mentions the gun, you need to pass a Composure check (Challenging 12). Then he'll stonewall you until you do a little errand for him.
Furthermore, he will also try to play you using a brown folder, promising RCM documents. You can see through his bluff with Drama (Medium 11), reading the folders at the Harbour secretariat makes it easier by 1.
The main talk with him is a minefield of Morale damage. Keep some Drouamine handy.
He also plays part in the following tasks:
- Interview the Union boss
- Open apartment door for Evrart and Get two signatures for Evrart, two Union-related tasks required to get your gun back.
- This is the only way to receive your police-issued gun back.
- Find money for rent and pay Garte
- Getting the body down
- Prove your authority to Titus Hardie
- The *special* borscht
- Although Evrart claims to be too fat to move around with ease, having his office container lifted around by crane, he also says he enjoys fishing. His office is decorated with some fishing memorabilia, including a golden fishing rod and a novelty singing swordfish clock.
- Evrart keeps a framed picture of his brother on his desk.
- Although the Union is a social-democratic organization, there is evidence to suggest that the Claires (particularly Edgar) really are communists, given their revolutionary aims for Revachol, as well as their sympathies.
- Because sitting in the chair can cause a point of damage, it's possible to die that way if you arrive with only 1 HP and can't or don't heal yourself. Some versions of the game will actually lock up if you do this, unable to run the death animation while your character is in the sitting animation.
Behind the scenes
Evrart is voiced by Tariq Khan in both The Final Cut and the original version of the game.
- EVRART CLAIRE - "Glad you asked. I've got Type 2 diabetes because sugar and fat was all my mother had to give me and my brother Edgar when we were kids."
- EASY LEO - "Guys like Mr. Evrart and Mr. Edgar -- his brother -- are real good guys, made Martinaise what it is today... Mr. Evrart and Mr. Edgar and I went to the same school, we did, when we were boys..."
- GASTON MARTIN - "Everyone in Martinaise knows the Claire brothers," he says solemnly. "I taught these boys human studies and history in the gymnasium."
- EVRART CLAIRE - "Well, you know how it is, Harry. Kids will be kids." He glances at the photo on his desk. "At her age, me and Edgar were getting drunk, sneaking out at night, throwing rocks at motor carriages..."
- JOYCE MESSIER - "Yes. Edgar looks *exactly* like his brother, except for that lazy eye. He also *talks* exactly like Evrart does. And when one's term as foreman is up, the other takes over."
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Amblyopia. A childhood condition.
- THE DESERTER - "That mobster toad couldn't run a shit-house. He has *no* political education. His twin, Edgar Claire, that one's been to one of those East Revachol Universities. He talks a big game about uprising and alienation and so on..."
- BIRD'S NEST ROY - He sighs. "Tiphaine Holly, the previous head of the Union, was rather *more* pleasant. Some of us around here... well, we've never understood why she didn't run for a second term. Or where she went after withdrawing from politics. It was all very strange."
- JOYCE MESSIER - "It's how they circumvent the term limits, you see. With a funny little *switcharoo*. While in office they've embezzled god knows *how* much of their workers' dues."
- CALL ME MAÑANA - "By Heavens, why would he not be corrupt? We live in a harsh and disordered world, see. And in this world..."
- CALL ME MAÑANA - "... the old man is corrupt for our *benefit* and we know it. Appreciate it, even. He is, personally, not too lavish."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "The Union does their share of policing in Martinaise, at least where gangs are concerned," the lieutenant replies instead. "That's why there isn't much organized crime around here."
- EVRART CLAIRE - "I don't want them to be scared. I want them to think, 'Wow, I feel so safe. I like Evrart.' I only want weasels to be scared."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "They got as far as the street lamps and the statue on that intersection. Then something went sour." He lowers his voice. "I suspect that *something* was Evrart Claire -- the Union leader. He muscled them out. It's how it usually goes around here."