Graad is an isola on Elysium. It shares its name with the largest nation on its territory.
Background[edit | edit source]
Ramout Karsai was an ancient hero of Graad.
70 years ago in Graad, ?estaprel tube-amplifiers were created. This revolutionary breakthrough cleared the way for rock and roll. Already ancient when it was born, rock and roll has always been the music of middle-aged white men with skullets and pony tails, fancy cravats and leather jackets. Never in fashion but not going anywhere either.
In the Current Century, Graad was the flashpoint of the Antecentennial Revolution. A pandemic of tzaraath, a particularly virulent prion disease, became the trigger for it when the authorities in Graad proved unable to contain the disease. When they failed to step up, Mazov and his party stepped in. Who was Kras Mazov? Just the leading figure of the Revolution in Graad, father of scientific communism. The Communist Party of Shest and Graad survived until the counter-offensives by reactionary forces surrounded the Eleven Day Government at the State Day Palace in Mirova, killing Mazov in the fighting and ending the Graad branch of the Revolution in '06.
In the '20s, the Yugo-Graad Riots took place, fueled by ethnic unrest and the state's repressive tactics. The socio-economic conditions that have brought the people of Yugo-Graad into the streets were coupled to centuries of humiliations and despair. These events are often seen as marking the end of a brief period of liberalization known as the Yugo-Graad Spring. Like all such periods, it is frequently memorialised in art and literature.
Graad is engaged in the Tien-En conflict, a proxy war with Safre. It has been hot for 12 years, with atrocities piling up daily. Mostly committed by Graad. Co Hoi is a village that was the site of infamous war crimes and its name entered common parlance as a term for atrocities.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Graad citizens customarily use patronyms: Krasovich, Larsovich, etc. The revolutionaries of the Antecentennial Revolution saw this as a "chauvinist atavism" so they used matronyms, derived from the mother's name, instead. The custom was overturned after the revolutions failed, but not before making it to Revachol.
Funk is an aggressive resurgence of The New aesthetic of the Revacholian Thirties, but this time originating in Graad. It's brought there by the Iilmaraan diaspora. Funk is more masculine and guitar-oriented than disco. Even more dangerous.
Paradox B is a fringe science magazine published in Graad. Its mission is to explain theories like telekinesis and intraisolary pale, before they get out of hand.
People from Graad can be victims of prejudice, and kojko is a common slur used by racists. Emigrant communities in Revachol are also commonly called zemlyaki.
Geography[edit | edit source]
Territories[edit | edit source]
- Igaunija: a god-forsaken (and tiny) constituent region of the federated Graad state. Dark and cold most of the time. It has not once, but twice wasted its independence on microfascism. The less said about Igaunija the better. Except for one: People there are required to consume truly astounding amounts of fish in order to keep their vitamin D levels high, lest they become depressed and turn to fascism again.
- Yekokataa is an abbreviation from the Graad term "Zone of Ecological Catastrophe," an agricultural megaproject in the extreme south east of the Graad isola. It involved cutting-edge approaches to irrigation and a completely new type of fertilizer. By '51 features no scenic vistas and supports virtually no plant or animal life.
Cities[edit | edit source]
- Mirova: 22 million people live here, the capital city of Graad. It is the capital of the world after Revachol was destroyed.
- Zsiemsk: In ancient times, it was ruled by Zygismunt the Great. His banners were famously zaffer and white, and his legacy remains strong. In modern times, Zsiemsk is home to Stas-Rajko, one of the finest Graad vehicle manufacturers, recognizable by the Eight Antler emblem. 
Technology[edit | edit source]
Not all inventions had the same success. Lickra(TM) was a synthetic fabric developed by Graadian manufacturers in the middle '40s, notable mainly for the swishy sound it makes as the wearer passes by. It's also known to become extremely itchy if not properly cared for and highly carcinogenic.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doomed Commercial Area basement furnace
- Horrific Necktie
- The Suicide of Kras Mazov
- Encyclopedia: "The South Safre conflict is an ongoing proxy war between Graad and Safre. It has been hot for 12 years with the atrocities piling on. Mostly committed by the Graad."
- Ending debriefing
- Racist lorry driver
- Horrific Necktie
- Trant Heidelstam: "Mikael's a little tired today. We spent all night trying to run Orbis on his radiocomputer. Have you heard of it? It's a programming language used in Graad. Quite tricky, but he wanted to play this Graad-made adventure programme. We've been getting *really* into wurms lately..."
- Encyclopedia: "The Orbis programming language was named after its inventor, Viktor Orbis, a cybernetician from Graad. They run Vox in the Occidential countries..."