Added at the start of 2020, Hardcore Mode is precisely what it says on the tin. In the words of the developers: The city at the end of the world just got more existential.
- All checks are made more difficult. You'll fail. You'll be a Total Disaster Cop. You'll surrender your dignity. And you'll learn to savor every victory.
- Martinaise will have even less money for you to find. Bird's Nest Roy will relish this, as that means you'll have to visit him more often and pawn off your possessions more frequently. Or take the right Thought Cabinet options.
- Everything's more expensive, and that includes over-the-counter pharmaceuticals. They also heal your health and morale less.
- On the other hand, drugs are as effective as they were before. Booze, cigarettes, the harder stuff - if you can complete the case without being higher than the fucking Innocence, you can pat yourself on the back.
- Clothes matter even more. All bonuses and penalties are bigger this time around.
- Oh, all Thought Cabinet options also have more pronounced bonuses and maluses. Be careful what you stick in your head. More than usual, that is.
- That said: Failure builds character. Every task completed gives more XP. You'll level up faster and higher, just to survive.
The words of the makers
|“||Again, Hardcore Mode isn't for everyone. But if you've loved this strange story in this forgotten city, it's a way to experience it from a new perspective -- a Martinaise perspective. For those of us here at ZA/UM, who've already spent hundreds of hours playing, this new mode been a wonderful chance to revisit the game in a fresh way.
Good luck, detective.