Harrier Du Bois
Harrier "Harry" Du Bois is the main and sole player-controlled character of Disco Elysium.
Background[edit | edit source]
Harrier Du Bois was born in ‘07, the last year of the Commune of Revachol, before the Coalition's attack, at a time when the Antecentennial Revolution was still going strong. He was born in Revachol's Old Military Hospital during a snowstorm, on the ground floor where "people usually came to die". As a child, he suffered a bout of partial infantile paralysis caused by polio, and though he would for the most part physically recover from this condition, it permanently gave him a slight twinge in his jaw that causes him to pronounce certain words in a notably awkward manner.
In his adolescence, Harry was a member of a eight-man street-gang of delinquents from Faubourgh and North Jamrock calling themselves The Fifteenth Indotribe.
By the events in-game, the year '51, he is 44 years old. In-game, Harry may pick of the pseudonyms Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau, by failing to come up with a convincing name when first meeting Kim Kitsuragi, and "Tequila Sunset," a nickname he had before Martinaise. He can also refer to himself as "Firewalker", adopting it while calling Precinct 41 from Kim's radio, as well as "The Icebreaker", if he internalizes fascist ideology.
Harry was once a gym teacher in Grand-Couron, located in Jamrock. Kitsuragi and Cuno point to this when explaining why Harry had little to no knowledge of homo-sexuality, why he has a tendency to run from place to place rather than walk, and his affinity for FALN brand athletic wear, among other strange character quirks. At some point he met his future fiancee, Dora Ingerlund, who inspired him to join the Revachol Citizens Militia at the age of 26. Over 18 years of service he solved 216 cases and racked up 3 kills, an extremely low number for a member of Precinct 41. His statistics put him at the top of the RCM's ranks both in terms of effectiveness (simply clearing 10 cases a year is enough to put a policeman in the 90th percentile) and humanism (too many RCM officers enjoy shooting people). His exploits earned him the title of lieutenant double-yefreitor and the position as head of the Major Crimes Unit at Precinct 41.
Harry's mental state began to deteriorate in '45, six years before in-game events, when Dora abandoned him and moved to Mirova in Graad, citing Harry's self-destructive, impulsive behavior. Overwhelmed by depression from heartbreak, Harry attempted to cheer himself up through an impulse purchase of a particulary garish tie that reminded him of the Disco fashion of his youth. However, Harry gradually started to project a hyperactive and self-destructive personality onto the tie, that compelled him to dress in increasingly tacky clothes, and forget his problems through drinking, substance abuse and other forms of "partying". Since then, Harry's leadership of the Major Crimes Unit became increasingly erratic and the unit suffered accordingly. Many officers left, including their reporter Guillaume Bevy. By '51, only Harry, his partner Jean Vicquemare, Trant Heidelstam, and Judit Minot remained.
During this time, Harry's weekly case load increased dramatically, taking on two complex cases every week, an amount which takes a lot out of the individual. During one of these cases, titled "THE UNSOLVABLE CASE", Harry had a suspect try to damage his Ledger. In response, the drunk Harry struck the man with the ledger across the face, then beat him to the ground and, while crying, broke the suspect's kneecaps with it, rendering him permanently unable to walk. Though Harry was considered for a disciplinary hearing after this incident, he managed to avoid it as the case had ultimately been solved.
Directly preceding the in-game events, Harry and the Major Crimes Unit were called to Martinaise to investigate a report of a hanging. When they arrived, Harry drove off the rest of the unit, screaming at them to "fuck off" because they were "cramping [his] style. He was the "Detective God." The rest of his tirade were variations on "Fuck everything. All will burn. Detect or die!". He then went on a several-day suicidal bender across the district. He harassed the patrons at the Whirling-in-Rags, waving his gun in their faces and making graphic suicide jokes. He trashed his room and broke the Whirling's taxidermy skua, finally driving the waitress Sylvie Malaìika to resign on the spot just to escape him. He sold his gun to Bird's Nest Roy, wrecked his Coupris Kineema, and on the final night before he lost his memory, he could be heard in his room at the Whirling screaming "I DON'T WANT TO BE THIS KIND OF ANIMAL ANYMORE" while listening to The Smallest Church in Saint-Saens on loop.
It's a mystery what happened to cause Harry's amnesia. Serious drinking has caused episodes like this before, but it also might've been a coping mechanism or a side effect of pale exposure from the two-millimetre hole in the church. Joyce Messier theorizes that Harry was affected with a serious case of encephalopathy. Jean thinks it's all just an act.
Rank[edit | edit source]
Harry's Rank in the RCM is "Lieutenant Double-Yefreitor". According to Kim Kitsuragi, the Lieutenant is a rank above Sergeant and below Captain. It's the highest rank in the RCM that still does field work. The title of "X-Yefreitor" is added to an officer's rank every time they decline a promotion to a higher rank -- the rank of Captain, in Harry's case. There are many reasons why one might refuse to be promoted. sometimes promoted officers do not want to replace their superiors, and, most likely for Harry, they prefer the type of police work available to their current rank.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the events of the game, Harry was shot at four times and hit twice.
- The "Yefreitor" portion of Harry's rank is likely taken from the real-world Soviet military rank Yefreytor (Ефрейтор, from the German Gefreiter), which was the highest enlisted rank in the Soviet armed forces.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Harry's self-referenced alternate name that he may name himself added.
- ↑ Others officers often used pseudonyms to mock him: Dick Mullen, Supercop, Captain Sober, etc.
References[edit | edit source]
- Date of Birth Generator
- YOU - I was born in a hospital where people usually go to die.
- Bringing of the Law (Law-Jaw)
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - To his left, his partner Emile Mollins whispers: "You heard what happened to Tequila Sunset? In Martinaise?"
- YOU - "Operating a radio is easy." (Speak into the microphone:) "Come in Delta-Ten, this is Firewalker, copy!"
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Yes, you *taught gym* in Couron. I believe that's the term? Taught gym at a high school. You were a high school gym teacher."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "The fact that you don't seem to *know* what homo-sexuality is..."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Harry... it explains *everything*. The running around. The jumping. The *shot-put*. Your inexplicable facial hair..."
- YOU - "The FALN gear..."
- CUNO - "Your lame taste in music. Like from -- the Forties. Even the way you *stand* and stretch and shit... Cuno's seen this shit before. In *gym* class."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "The first row represents your years of service. *Eighteen* years? Okay -- not bad at all. What did you do before you volunteered?"
- KIM KITSURAGI - "This next row -- the one that wraps all the way around -- is your number of closed cases. *Closed* is good. it means finished. You've got, let's see..."
KIM KITSURAGI "Wow, more than 200!
"YOU - "Two-hundred sixteen, to be exact."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Right. Those are your confirmed kills. You've got precisely *three* perforations there."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "For an RCM officer -- especially Precint 41, which is in the Jamrock Quarter -- it's rather... tame. I mean that in a good way."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "It's *quite* a lot, even for someone who's been on the force for nearly two decades. Usually clearing more than 10 cases a year puts you in the 90th percentile of *all* RCM officers."
- YOU - ""Rank: LTN-2JFR?"
"KIM KITSURAGI - "Lieutenant double-yefreitor."
- DOLORES DEI - "I'm going to Mirova. To live there -- in Graad. It's one million kilometres away, Harry. Might as well be another lifetime."
- BEAUTIFUL NECKTIE - One day a sad man walked into a clothing store. He looked really down. Like he hadn't had fun in years. He needed someone to show him how to rock and roll again. Joopson AS catalogue no. J327 shone on the tie rack, trying to get his attention. The sad man picked it up and put it on. He looked at himself in the mirror. Didn't smile.
YOU - Nothing will ever heal me, but at least I'll have a funny tie.
- BEAUTIFUL NECKTIE - And from that moment on -- we rode together. The rest of your clothes were still *normal* back then. But we took care of that soon enough.
- YOU - Did we... have any fun?
BEAUTIFUL NECKTIE - Truthfully? Not a lot. I did everything a multi-patterned necktie can do to help a man. I mean, I tried to get you to do *all* the fun things: Drink beer, drink wine, drink cider, go to parties with young people around and drink beer *and* cider; do drugs too, so you don't fall asleep... You had *some* fun. But not enough to heal you.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Oh, that's an interesting story, actually!" He's not smiling. "Guillaume Bevy is a police reporter who joined our team. He was really good. Then he left, because he lost faith in your ability to lead the unit."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Huh?" He raises his nose from his notes. "Two *complex* cases to undertake is a lot, yes. You *really* have to push yourself. I would not suggest it. Lest you start making mistakes."
- DAMAGED LEDGER - AKA LESLIE & BURKE, AKA THE PUBLIC INDECENCY DRUNK & THE PROPERTY DAMAGE DRUNK is a *cursed* case. It has been passed from unsuspecting officer to unsuspecting officer for ten years. On January 29, THE UNSOLVABLE CASE made its way to you. Why you accepted it is unclear. Every officer and indeed most civilians in Jamrock know it's UNSOLVABLE.
- DAMAGED LEDGER - Good, you're learning. If the files are to be trusted -- that's all there is to it. That and Burke breaking things. And the fact that they're both drunk. But then again, so are you. The case becomes *considerably* less comic one day, when Burke takes a swing at your ledger.
DAMAGED LEDGER - He must have it confused with the *property* he likes to damage. But the joke's on him -- you're drunk out of your mind on Potent Pilsner. You slam the hardened plastic board in his face. Then you proceed to beat him unconscious with it.
- DAMAGED LEDGER - In the process the ledger sustains damage. The compartment within -- reserved for permeable documents -- is jammed shut. You stop your assault on the now unconscious Burke to open it, but are unable to do so. *The officer began to cry*, reports Leslie, who at this point is tending to Burke.
- DAMAGED LEDGER - *He came at us* -- *And at us* -- *I think he was trying to kill Burke-o*. While trying to kill Burke-o, you slowly come around. The permeables' compartment is open. You've smashed it open on poor Burke'o's kneecaps. The good news is, Burke can't walk anymore.
- DAMAGED LEDGER - Can't get out of his apartment. An invalid. With Burke to tend to, Leslie cuts back on the indecent exposure. Maybe he flashes his genitals to Burke, who knows, but both drunks are off the street. The complaints stop, the unsolvable case is solved.
DAMAGED LEDGER - Which is also why the officer responsible (narrowly) escapes a disciplinary hearing. The end. Do you want to read another one?
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "You told us to fuck off. You said we're *cramping your style*. You're *Detective God*. Fuck everything. All will burn. Detect or die!"
- SYLVIE MALAIIKA - "You were waving it around in everyone's face, begging them to describe it. You said it 'calms you'. And then you started making suicide jokes. It got pretty *graphic*."
- YOU - "You mean me? You needed to get away from *me?*"
- BIRD'S NEST ROY - "You were adamant about getting rid of it, officer." He hesitates. "Said you were *undeserving* of a service weapon of the Revachol Citizens Militia."
- IDIOT DOOM SPIRAL - "When we finally got there you were sitting on the beach, crying. You said that your badge and uniform were in the car. It was too late to get in there though, the carriage had sunk too deep."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "There was. I think you screamed that you... didn't want to be 'this type of animal' anymore. I may have misheard, but it was sort of memorable."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "A slow, sad song started playing. Like organ music, on repeat. That went on for quite a while. Some of that time you were yelling along to it."
- JUDIT MINOT - "But Detective Vicquemare," she interjects. "He *has* blanked out before."
YOU - "I have?"
JUDIT MINOT - "Yes, a couple of times. After some of the more... serious benders." She pauses, remembering. "One was after the Two Drunks case, the other when we looked into that mural."
- YOU - "Something so sad happened to me that I couldn't be me anymore. It was a defence mechanism."
- YOU - "It might have something to do with an anomaly in the church. A two-millimetre hole in the world."
- JOYCE MESSIER - "Ah, yes -- the *episode*. Sounds like an acute case of encephalopathy now that I think of it..." She puts down her thermal cup and looks at you.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Or perhaps it can be cured with mesmerism? But then I think: No, that's unlikely. He's probably just an *asshole*. A drunk asshole who *pretends* to have amnesia to get out of shit."
- YOU - "Lieutenant double-yefreitor Harrier Du Bois."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "The title of yefreitor is added to your rank when you decline a promotion to a higher rank -- in your case, captain," the lieutenant explains. "You have declined twice. Thus you're double-yefreitor."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "There are many reasons one would do this. The rank above you in your precinct's *décomptage* might be taken. Or sometimes promoted officers do not *want* to replace their superiors -- out of respect."
KIM KITSURAGI - "And sometimes," he continues, "they just prefer the type of police work available to their current rank -- in your case, lieutenant."
- TITUS HARDIE - ""You know what I think?" He raises his finger. "I think he was shot in the head as a kid. And his brain grew around the bullet.""
ENDURANCE - "It *is* possible to live with an injury like that. Makes you touch the back of your skull, wondering if there's one in there?"
PAIN THRESHOLD - "No. You'd remember that. You've been shot at four times. Hit twice."