This page will serve as a basic how to play guide for Disco Elysium. While there is very little information available at this time, we urge you to check back often, as new information is being added all the time! Feel free to edit this guide with any tips, tricks, and suggestions.
- Disco Elysium is similar to a visual novel, where the narrative elements and the characters are integral to experiencing the game. Be prepared to read and skim through dialogue, and be prepared for extreme amounts of exposition.
- Your character's skills will determine what he can say and do. These skills will be tested by White checks and Red checks, to determine whether or not your character will succeed or fail an action. White checks can be retried, Red checks cannot be retried.
- Certain conversations will lead to thoughts within your thought cabinet. These are researched by your character and will provide certain bonuses to your character.
- Exploration and interactions are done via click and point. Time is advanced through conversation and interactions with the environment.
- It is possible to die and go insane. It's easier to do this in the early game.
- Attributes determine how high your skills will start off. Having a six in intellect will increase all the skills in that category. You can adjust these attributes in the beginning of the game. When you start gaining skill points, you can start increasing each skill individually.
- INTELLECT: These skills determine how smart your cop is, and whether or not he'll be able to make deductions or understand anything.
- PSYCHE: These skills determine how your cop will interact with others. Increasing this branch will increase your morale, which acts as a part of the character's health.
- PHYSIQUE: These skills determine physical qualities. Increasing this branch will increase your health, which acts as a part of the character's health.
- MOTORICS: These skills determine the cop's motor skills and how well he will perceive his environment.
- Morale and health will deplete when you fail checks or do certain actions.
- There are "safe skills" and "risky skills." Skills like Encyclopedia, Empathy, Physical Instrument, and Perception are generally low-risk and are useful throughout the game. Skills like Rhetoric, Suggestion, Electrochemistry (especially), and Interfacing will provide new dialogue options and actions.
- Don't be afraid of failure, your character isn't perfect and the game will continue regardless.
Tips and tricks
- Press TAB to highlight items that you can interact. This is helpful for earning currency and for item gathering.
- Your character qualities are not only determined by what you choose to do, but by what you choose NOT to do.