Inspect victim's body
Inspect victim's body is a task in Disco Elysium.
Context[edit | edit source]
Inspect the body hanging in the back yard of the Whirling-in-Rags. This is a preliminary inspection, you just need to suppress the urge to throw up and approach it.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- The first stage of the investigation is getting a general look at the crime scene and inspecting the body.
- Crime Scene
- First, you can interact with the traces on the ground. Passing a Visual Calculus check (Medium 11) will allow you to estimate the amount of footprints in the mud: There were eight pairs: Four pairs of standard work boots with steel reinforced toes in 44, 44, 46, and 45-46 sizes, a hobnailed work boot with toes size 43, a work boot in 41 with a strangely light, even pace, a work boot in 46 and with an imprint indicating 200 kilograms of live weight, and finally, an aberrant track of a standard work boot with a more worn right sole.
- Lieutenant Kitsuragi will make notes. You can antagonize him for no benefit, or continue taking the footprints down. You can point out the odd traces, and Kitsuragi (and your Logic) will point out when mentioning the 200 kg tracks that it was likely the victim was carried to the place of execution - raising the question as to why. Once you're done inspecting the scene, you will generally establish a working theory of what happened.
- But with high Volition (passive check Medium 10) you will realize that it's convenient, as if someone was whispering suggestions into your ear. If you express reservations, the Horrific Necktie around your neck will come to life and the vivid interior will remind you of just how vivid it can get without something or someone to keep it in line. Kim will notice you clutching your tie and raise an eyebrow. Of course, you can just say that you should get completely fucking smashed in the yard as reward for figuring out the scene, or explain that you're having a mild malfunction.
- Dealing with the Body
- When you approach the decomposing body, you get an object lesson in why dealing with corpses is unpleasant, especially when they've been hanging in a tree for a week. To actually get close enough to inspect it, you need to deal with the smell of an ungodly rot. You'll need to pass a Legendary Endurance check (14 in total). There are a few possible bonuses to help you against this check:
- Fail the Endurance check twice to get the "Volumetric Shit Compressor" thought. Internalize it for +6 against the check.
- Get ammonia from the gardener or the Frittte store, it'll make it easier.
- Talk to Cuno after throwing up and coin the Cunoified Nonvomitor (+1).
- Once you've gotten yourself together, do a preliminary inspection of the victim. You'll be working with Kim to get the various features of the body, including:
- His size, height, and personal features.
- His tattoos. Kim will take a photo of them that you can show ot others while you try to discover the tattoo's meaning.
- His boots, which turn out to be a part of a set of Fairweather T-500 ceramic armour. Inspecting them allows you to learn about kinetic re-distributors, the make, and find the serial number - Conceptualization helps. This allows you to run the number on the victim's armour and find out the victim's identity. It also begins the task to collect all the pieces of armor.
- The belt he was hanged with. Passing a medium passive Electro-Chemistry check will reveal that he was hanged with a VERMILLION reinforced cargo lashing belt used for airship transportation. You can reveal that to Kim, and he will point out that six-rotors are used for shuffling containers at the docks.
- Looking into his eye allows for attempt a Medium Inland Empire check. Succeeding will begin a conversation with the dead man in which you can learn more about him and how he died.
- Once you're done with the preliminary findings, you can work on getting the body down from the tree.