|“||Lieutenant, I'm sorry, but you've been *bewitched by the shitkid*. It happens. I know it's hard to accept, but he made it all up -- because he's a psychopath. It's a simple explanation.||„|
Jean Vicquemare, or the Man with Sunglasses, is a character in Disco Elysium.
Jean-Heron Vicquemare is a 34 year old lieutenant and Satellite-Officer at the Precinct 41 of the Revachol Citizens Militia, located in Jamrock. He is the current partner of Harrier Du Bois and the second-in-command of 41's Major Crimes Unit.
Jean is estimated to have worked with Harrier Du Bois for somewhere between two and six years. They have cultivated a "battle-tested" relationship during this time; Chester McLaine describes them as "heterosexual life partners" with a "real bröderbund." Jean has been diagnosed with clinical depression for seven years.
Though Vicquemare's in-game dialogue towards Harry can be construed as overly hostile, he is deeply loyal to the detective. Jean worries over Harry after he does not pick up the Monday mail, he requests other officers not to mention Harry's behavior when he reports his badge and/or gun missing, and visits Lieutenant Kitsuragi to inquire about Harry if the Lieutenant is shot. Jean has also defended Harry to Captain Pryce and Berdyayeva and taken over the task force for Harry.
- Your earliest opportunity to interact with Jean is by phoning your precinct. During this call you can learn that Jean is your usual partner. A high Esprit de Corps will lead to a successful passive check, which gives insight into what happens at the Precinct. Despite Harrier's antics, Jean still wants to help him (in no small part due to Judit Minot's insistence) and orders the RCM members who listened to the radio call and Harry's admission that he lost his badge (and gun) to keep silent and give Harry a few days to recover and fix himself up.
- Jean is referred to as "JV" in the damaged ledger.
- In THE NEXT WORLD MURAL case, Jean is cited as the one who initiated the debate about removing the mural, as he argues that there's public support for its conservation.
- In THE UNSOLVABLE CASE, Jean was too busy to deal with Burke and Leslie.
- In the COLLAPSING TENEMENT, which is currently cut from the game, Jean aids Harry in evacuating the building.
- Jean appears with Judit Minot on Day 3, in disguise, to test Harry's state of mind.
- Jean appears again during the debriefing after the return from the Sea Fortress.
- During this scene, various problems Harry has caused for Jean can be uncovered: leaving Jean to manage his cases and the special task force when Harry failed to show up to work due to drinking; taking unspecified actions which resulted in the precinct having to take sensitivity training; telling Jean to "fuck off" because he's cramping Harry's style; causing officers to quit; letting suspects go; and allegedly being emotionally manipulative. In spite of this, Jean has defended Harry's behavior to Captain Pryce twice and to Berdyayeva four times, and has remained Harry's partner.
- You can learn that Jean was earlier disguised as Guillaume Bevy as a joke. It is implied that this is the sort of joke that Harry would find amusing.
- Jean confirms that Harry has hallucinated his tie talking to him prior to his amnesia.
- Jean is the one the who will tell you that Harry's ex-wife is named Dora Ingerlund. Jean claims not to know much about her, but it is implied Harry talked about her all the time and he therefore picked up some information about her.
Behind the scenes
- Jean is voiced by David Meyrat in The Final Cut. He was voiced by Dot Major in the original version of the game.
- Jean's voice was changed in an October 2021 patch to the game, giving him a deeper pitch and a more gravelly sound.
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - With an agitated gait Satellite-Officer Jean-Heron Vicquemare paces the jetty, 22 kilometres East -- in Martinaise: "What could he *possibly* be doing there for so long," he says.
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - Not far from here a 34-year-old man called Jean Vicquemare reluctantly picks his facial hair while a dark-haired woman in an officer's suit waits for an answer. A typical police station morning hums in the background: telephones ringing, the whirr of a roll'o'dex...
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "I'm his *goddamn* partner!"
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Yeah -- Major Crimes Unit, under Lieutenants Du Bois and Vicquemare -- ring any bells?"
- EMPATHY - Judging by the familiarity you feel toward him -- two years minimum? Or maybe a short, but close stint on the task force...
- YOU - "When was this?" JEAN VICQUEMARE - "God, I don't know..." He thinks. "Six years ago? She was way before my time."
- CHESTER MCLAINE - "It's not like that. They're what is called *heterosexual life partners*. They have a battle-tested relationshit. A 'bröderbund,' if you will."
- CHESTER MCLAINE - "Damn, I don't know. Even a real *bröderbund* like that can't survive everything..."
- PAIN THRESHOLD - This guy is suffering from clinical depression. And it's been going on awhile.
- YOU - "Weren't you depressed or something?"
MAN WITH SUNGLASSES - "Seven years and going strong!" He nods enthusiastically. "The head doctors are now calling it a medical marvel... no, wait, anomaly was the word they used."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "It's just... Judit went to his place and found the Monday mail unopened. I think he's still *there*."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "This shit does *not* leave this room! Not a word of this to the captain or anyone else. We'll give him a couple of days to pull his shit together!"
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - "Why are you here?" asks the man as the cough resides. His eyes are black and moist. "To inquire about the Lieutenant-Yefrioter, sir. I am his partner," says Satellite-Officer Jean Vicquemare, standing in the doorway.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "No, Harry -- FUCK YOU. You already fucked us -- I've explained this shit to Pryce *twice*. To Berdyayeva -- *four times*. I'm your partner. I answer for you when you're not there."
ESPRIT DE CORPS - When you clocked out, *I* became responsible for your cases -- and your special task force.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "For the record, you pressured us into getting it. 'It'll be cool Jean, we'll have wheels, rapid response...' I was fine being an equestrian cop. I hope you're fine driving a *bicycle*."
- DAMAGED LEDGER - The crew agrees to clean up after themselves. However, your partner JV is against the removal, citing public support for conservation. This leads to a debate in Precinct 41, which then spreads to the streets of Jamrock. Ending in a rare plebiscite -- organized by you and the rest of Row III.
- DAMAGED LEDGER - It's plain to see from the files that you, Satellite-Officer JV and special consultant TH had more important cases to attend to. You uncover cross-reference to several ongoing investigations, each brought to a standstill every time you drive down Main Street. Because there they are! On the corner of Perdition, and what is Leslie doing?
- DAMAGED LEDGER - Bad, bad thoughts go through your head. So what you do is -- you call your partner. JV (only initials available) is up. He comes immediately. He didn't take building safety, but he believes you. He brings five more officers. Together you knock on *every door* and explain the situation.
- MAN WITH SUNGLASSES - "If I wasn't clinically depressed I'd burst out laughing." He doesn't look amused. "But I'm gonna go with *no* right now."
- PHYSICAL INSTRUMENT - You know what? It must be because he's *buff*. He looks like he works out like he's got the devil on his back.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "That will never happen, Jude. He's the rudest man on Earth. He is the reason why the rest of us have to take sensitivity training. And I *hate* sensitivity training..."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "You told us to fuck off. You said we're *cramping you style*. You're *Detective God*. Fuck everything. All will burn. Detect or die!"
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Oh, that's an interesting story, actually!" He's not smiling. "Guillaume Bevy is a police reporter who joined our team. He was really good. Then he left, because he lost faith in your ability to lead the unit."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Other people have left too. Good, smart people. People we won't get back. Only me and this *really patient* patrol officer are still here. And Trant -- because I'm *forcing* him to stay."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Oh well --if you've *learned your lesson*..." He rubs his face in frustration. "I'm not even gonna get into the eighty other suspects you've failed to arrest."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "You were crying hysterically. You were drunk, breaking things, being emotionally abusive. You said we were going 'into the abyss'."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "You manipulative son of a bitch..." He shakes his head and sniffles. "It *is* cold, and we have vehicles in the square. The perp needs to be taken into custody. Let's get a move on."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "See -- there!" He wags his finger at you. "He's getting it! I was *impersonating* him. Look at me, I'm G-Bevy. It was going to be funny. But then you really did have brain damage -- so not so much anymore."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "The tie's talking again -- that's it. No more phasmid-talk. There's no PR-value in delirium tremens."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Yeah. Dora Ingerlund, I think."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "So have I. You *bitterly* drop *Dearest Dora* and *really tore me a new one*... twice a week I think? It comes up."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "She was extremely fuckable, Harry. Gorgeous. A gorgeous bourgeois woman. Waifish. Like a *welkin* basically."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "I think she taught in the Académie of Arts, east of the river. Way east. Hard to say which came first -- the middle class chick or the drink? Egg and the chicken kind of thing..."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "I've only seen a picture -- but it's obvious you formed a real spiritual connection with how *pretty* she was. One you never recuperated from."
- (MAJOR SPOILERS) Disco Elysium - Jean Vicquemare's Voice in The Final Cut vs. October 2021 Update