|“||"What world?" The fading pearls of her eyes look to the sea. "The only one, I suppose -- the world of matter and its pale antipode..."||„|
Rejoyce Leyton-Messier, usually just called Joyce Messier, is a major character in Disco Elysium.
Wild Pines representative Joyce Leyton-Messier is an older woman with an English accent. Serving as Wild Pine's ambassador to the Union, she has an affinity for sailing. However, despite being the Senior Labour Negotiator for the Wild Pines Group, has a very big problem: no one wants to negotiate with her. She came to Martinaise hoping to work out a compromise with the Dockworkers’ Union and end to the strike that has been going on for months, resulting in major losses for the Wild Pines. But Evrart Claire, foreman of the Dockworkers’ Union, has been unwilling to make any concessions, and, having kicked out the previous negotiator, isn’t even letting Joyce into the harbour. Worse yet, the Union stopped all communication with her following the murder you’re investigating. And so you find Joyce docked by the pier in her sloop, sipping tea, exasperated by the entire situation.
This must be something of a new experience for her. Not only is she a professional negotiator, she represents a major logistics conglomerate with a 250-year history — The Wild Pines Group owns the harbour! What’s more: it was the Wild Pines Group that built the district of Martinaise, or at least invested the money for it to be built. Trouble is, Evrart Claire and his twin brother Edgar now unofficially run Martinaise. In this standoff between the Wild Pines Group and the Dockworkers’ Union, who will prevail?
As befits a representative of the Wild Pines, Joyce has the air of very old money — generations upon generations of politesse and finger sandwiches. She will be more than courteous with you and even helpful — if you can successfully negotiate with her. Beyond information that may aid you in your investigation, however, she has something to offer that came down to her with that very old money: a broad education of the sort one doesn’t usually comes across in impoverished Martinaise. Joyce is a treasure trove of knowledge for an amnesiac detective who doesn’t really understand what planet he’s on and how it came to be the way it is. You just might find yourself whiling away some hours with her by the water, listening to the waves lapping against the hull of her sloop, entranced by her erudition and lulling eloquence.
- Joyce is met on the first day of the investigation and has multiple opportunities for the world-weary detective. Perhaps the most important one at first is that she can provide the ✤ 130 for the detective to pay off their debt over at the Whirling-in-Rags (✤ 70 if the player already negotiated it down). She passes this obvious bribe off as a... Donation to the RCM, in keeping with the organization's principles of self-funding.
- Beyond that, Joyce will also offer information and opportunities for resolving the Get a reality lowdown and Talk to Joyce about the pale without Kim tasks. The former can take quite a bit of time, so keep that in mind, while the latter is a white check that can be bypassed by sending Kim away (eg. with the body) or having a high Esprit de Corps and asking him to step back.
- You can receive more information about the case from Joyce once you find your badge at the crashed Kineema beyond the water lock or by completing a special task for her, tracking down the source of drugs flowing through the GRIH.
- Once the water lock is open, Joyce will move over to the fishing village. She will then disappear once the player catches up with Ruby, the Instigator.
- Joyce does not sleep.
Behind the scenes
- She is voiced by Tegen Hitchens.
- Joyce's looks have changed tremendously over the course of development: