Klaasje (KLAAS-yeh), Miss Oranje Disco Dancer, Klaasje Amandou, or Katarzine Alaczije, is a crucial character in Disco Elysium.
Background[edit | edit source]
An attractive Oranjese woman no older than 28 with brown eyes and a birthmark-speckled face, Klaasje constantly wears a silver jumpsuit, reminiscent of scale armor - one used on nights out on the city. Klaasje is an enigmatic woman who's holed up in the Whirling-in-Rags, and an apparent hedonist who does nothing more than drink, smoke, and do drugs. As expected, there's more to her than that.
Assuming she tells the truth, Klaasje is actually a former corporate spy who specialized in industrial espionage. After tremendous success in her first job (a printer company, likely FELD), she was asked to do it again, this time against the Loosduin County Savings bank. Klaasje was successful again, but the bank was part of the greater Looskap conglomerate, which in turn had ties to the Moralintern. Once her work was done Klaasje became a radioactive loose end and had to flee Mundi. Competitive intelligence was never pretty and always cutthroat. Especially when it came to Looskap, specializing in disaster capitalism in second world countries.
Klaasje's actions weren't limited to damage to the company brand, no. Her espionage cost the jobs of executives and regular workers both, and drove one worker to commit suicide. When she did not make the rendezvous out of fear of what they'd do to her, she became a dead woman. Or so she says. What's known is that she came to Revachol to hide among the wreckage of the Revolution. She hid her documents offshore just to be safe - which also allowed her to manipulate the truth as needed, including passing herself off as a child of naturalized Zsiemsk immigrants, Katarzine Alaczije.
She and Ellis Kortenaer hit it off, a runaway spy and a brutal mercenary, indulging in the whole alphabet of controlled substances in an uncontrolled orgy every night they stayed together - until Ellis was shot by the deserter in a fit of jealousy, straight through the window. Klaasje assumed the bullet had been meant for her, her past catching up with her. She immediately set to concealing the murder, manipulating Ruby and Titus Hardie into staging a lynching, so that the RCM would investigate it as a murder tied to the strike, rather than a rogue Oranjese spy.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Klaasje is the first character you interact with and one you'll keep coming back to throughout the game. At first, you encounter her at the balcony, looking over Whirling's lower floor and smoking a cigarette. Talking with her is the first taste of interactions in the game. In this first encounter, you can try Suggestion (Challenging 12) to insinuate a desire for sexual contact. Removing the "Expression" beforehand will give a bonus against the check. Failing will cause her to laugh you off and disappear without the ability to interrogate her further. Succeeding will cause her to realize what's happening to you and comment on it: "Alcohol raises testosterone levels, especially in men. The levels remain elevated after inebriation ends and the pain begins. You seek comfort. It's only natural."
- Otherwise, you can question her as to the reality right here and right now. She will mention Ostentatious Orchestrations, a disco group, and clue you in on your earlier exploits including what you're doing here in Martinaise.
- You'll be able to talk to her again once you get past Titus and his Hardie Boys, but you'll have to finish the field autopsy before she'll tell you what she knows about the night the hanged man died. When you've gotten everything you can from her, you'll have a choice between arresting her or letting her go. Once arrested, she'll become inaccessible. If she's released she'll be available until the tribunal.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- In the original cut, Klaasje was voiced by Dasha Nekrasova, actress and co-host of the podcast Red Scare, who became known as "Sailor Socialism" after her interview with InfoWars went viral in 2018. Since the Final Cut, Klaasje is now voiced by Marine D'Aure.
References[edit | edit source]
- PERCEPTION (SIGHT): Her eyes are brown and her face is speckled with birthmarks. She can't be more than 28.
- Klaasje: "The job was the Loosduin County Savings Bank -- they sound small but they're part of the Looskap conglomerate. That was the second job. The first was some printer company. You wouldn't know them."
- Klaasje: "As to who hired me for the job -- I don't know. But *they're* after me too. Along with Looskap, and their friends in the MI." She breaths out, heavily. "Once you're done in the competitive intelligence circuit, you don't have allies. You're radioactive."
- Encyclopedia: "Looskap -- these people engineer financial disasters in second world countries. The conglomerate also inclues The Bank of Consecration, Eeirberg and the popular Pappa Lollo line of dairy products."
- Klaasje: "It is. Many people lost their jobs. Not just C-Suite. Ordinary people. What I did to get to accounting..." She shakes her head at the thought.
- You: "What did you *do*?" Klaasje: "I..." She looks down, then into your eyes. 'One of them killed themselves. Because of me."
- Klaasje: "I didn't show up to a rendezvous. They don't take that *lightly*." She rushes to explain: "I didn't show up because I was afraid they'd... do something to me. The job was finished -- I'm just a liability now."
- You: "Could the people after you have killed him?" Klaasje: "That's the first thing that went through my head, when I heard the glass break."