|“||I love Revachol, though. I hope she loves me too.||„|
Klaasje is a character in Disco Elysium.
NOTE: Most of the information in this article, particularly the character's name, are stated only by the character herself. As the character is known to hide and fabricate information about herself, take it with a grain of salt.
Born in the year '23, in Oranje, Katarzine Alaczije was the daughter of Zsiemsk immigrants from Graad, though naturalized Oranjese. At the age of 14, she won the Miss Teen Oranje beauty-pageant, a competition that was later discontinued. She claims it was her immigrant descent and appearance that attracted attention in the competition. Throughout her youth, she would work a variety of jobs, including as a secretary and roller skating instructor. Her victory at the competition would also get her a scholarship for studying Oranjese literature. In university, she also met a boy, a writer of Oranjese lit, who became her first boyfriend and gave her the nickname "Klaasje".
One of her jobs that she performed well at was as an insurance seller, which brought her to the attention of a large banking firm. Her new job as "competitive intelligence" finally brought her stability, and became her main focus. The first job performed for her employers was the infiltration of a small printing company, which was so successful she was called for another. However, her work also resulted in several people losing their jobs and livelihoods, and at least one person committed suicide due to this. Her connections also affected her boyfriend, who never recovered.
The second job, however, was against the Loosduin County Savings Bank, actually a subsidiary of a large coporate conglomerate named Looskap, with ties to the Moralist International and massive, destructive economic influence over second world countries. After the completion of her objectives, Klaasje feared that her employers would attempt to get rid of her, so she didn't attend their rendezvous and fled. Using falsified documents that her employer had given her, with the name "Annouk Meijer-Smit", Klaasje took a flight to Revachol. Her bags contained tickets for Villiers and then Casherbrume, on the Free State of Semenine, in order to hide at the edge of the Pale.
Upon arriving, Klaasje booked a room in the Whirling-in-Rags and hid her documents inside a hollowed-out buoy, floating in the Martinaise Inlet. Her documents were later taken by the Insulindian Phasmid. Despite her hiding, however, Klaasje continued to live in fear of persecution from both her employers and Looskap, though neither would actually find her there. Instead, her presence attracted the attention of Iosef Lilianovich Dros, the old revolutionary, who watched her from his sniper's nest in the Sea Fortress, and developed a psychosexual obsession.
Eventually, in the midst of the Dockworkers' Union's strike in early '51, The Wild Pines Group would send in Krenel mercenaries to strikebreak and infiltrate the organization. The leader of those mercenaries, Ellis Kortenaer, came to develop an intimate, drug-addled relationship with Klaasje, culminating in the night where, while having sex, Ellis is shot by Dros, falling dead over Klaasje. Fearing that the bullet was from a corporate assassin and really meant for her, Klaasje set out in covering up the crime, manipulating Ruby and Titus Hardie into staging a lynching so that the RCM would investigate it as a murder tied to the strike.
Ultimately, Klaasje was interrogated by RCM Officers Harrier Du Bois and Kim Kitsuragi, and was persuaded into revealing her perspective, though she still mislead the detectives. Her fear of arrest was justified, as, if sent to prison, her enemies would locate and assassinate her through the systems of the RCM and the Moralintern. Alas, as a desperate option, she attempted to pin the blame of the crime on Ruby, denying their own romance and intimacy and claiming she was the one who shot Ellis, in a fit of jealously. While the detectives went in search of the supposed instigator, Klaasje would perform her escape attempt.
- Klaasje is the first character you interact with and one you'll keep coming back to throughout the game. At first, you encounter her at the balcony, looking over Whirling's lower floor and smoking a cigarette. Talking with her is the first taste of interactions in the game. In this first encounter, you can try Suggestion (Challenging 12) to insinuate a desire for sexual contact. Removing the "Expression" beforehand will give a bonus against the check. Failing will cause her to laugh you off and disappear without the ability to interrogate her further. Succeeding will cause her to realize what's happening to you and comment on it: "Alcohol raises testosterone levels, especially in men. The levels remain elevated after inebriation ends and the pain begins. You seek comfort. It's only natural."
- Otherwise, you can question her as to the reality right here and right now. She will mention Ostentatious Orchestrations, a disco group, and clue you in on your earlier exploits including what you're doing here in Martinaise.
- You'll be able to talk to her again once you get past Titus and his Hardie Boys, but you'll have to finish the field autopsy before she'll tell you what she knows about the night the hanged man died. When you've gotten everything you can from her, you'll have a choice between arresting her or letting her go. Once arrested, she'll become inaccessible. If she's released she'll be available until the tribunal.
Behind the scenes
- In the original cut, Klaasje was voiced by Dasha Nekrasova, actress and co-host of the podcast Red Scare, who became known as "Sailor Socialism" after her interview with InfoWars went viral in 2018. Since the Final Cut, Klaasje is now voiced by Marine D'Aure.
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "I'm 28." She takes a drag.
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "My parents were Zsiemsk immigrants, but I'm nationalized. Oranjese. All I remember is Oranje." She's silent. "Alasije is my father's name."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "It was okay." She shrugs. "And it was called Miss *Teen* Oranje '37, actually. You'll be glad to hear the pageant was discontinued."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "I've always had *that* going for me. Oranjese women do not win beauty pageants at 14."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "Many things. A roller skating instructor, a secretary, Miss Oranje '37." She smiles.
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "No." She cranes her neck. "I was the *most* stupid and mediocre. And I got a crown and a sash -- and a sceptre -- for it. And a scholarship to study Oranjese lit."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "It was my first real boyfriend who gave me that name. He never recovered from the shit we went through. Because of me."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "I *did* -- I also had a side job selling insurance that I was really good at. Got picked up by a bank. *Competitive intelligence*, they called it."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "Industrial espionage. I joined a business collective with the intention of betraying them. I did my job well enough to be asked to do it again."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "It is. Many people lost their jobs. Not just C-Suite. Ordinary people. What I did to get to accounting..." She shakes her head at the thought.
- YOU - "What did you *do*?"
KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "I..." She looks down, then into your eyes. 'One of them killed themselves. Because of me."
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Looskap -- these people engineer financial disasters in second world countries. The conglomerate also includes The Bank of Consecration, Eeirberg and the popular Pappa Lollo line of dairy products.
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "I didn't show up to a rendezvous. They don't take that *lightly*." She rushes to explain: "I didn't show up because I was afraid they'd... do something to me. The job was finished -- I'm just a liability now."
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "Passport and visa." She nods. "Given to me by my employer. I can't even use them. My employer probably leaked the name -- Meijer-Smit -- to hurt me."
- THE DESERTER - "Her passport. And tickets to Villiers." He coughs. "And from there to Casherbrume."
ENCYCLOPEDIA - In the Free State of Semenine. Hidden away at the edge of the Earth, near the pale.
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "No, it's submerged in a plastic buoy on the coast, in the reeds. It just... doesn't say Klaasje Amandou. It says Annouk Meijer-Smit."
- YOU - "The phasmid took it -- and I *sensed* it do so. I saw something open up the buoy with spindly legs." (Point to your head.)
- KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "As to who hired me for the job -- I don't know. But *they're* after me too. Along with Looskap, and their friends in the MI." She breathes out, heavily. "Once you're done in the competitive intelligence circuit, you don't have allies. You're radioactive."
- YOU - "Could the people after you have killed him?"
KLAASJE (MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER) - "That's the first thing that went through my head, when I heard the glass break."