Background[edit | edit source]
Precinct 41 oversees the "legendary" district of Jamrock, comprised of the Pox, Villalobos, Central Jamrock, Grand-Couron, Old South, and the Valley of the Dogs. The station is organized into four wings, A, B, C, and D. It is implied that the station has an unusually low clearance rate for cases. Despite this, Kim Kitsuragi claims that the other precincts respect the 41st, understanding that Jamrock is far too large a district for one precinct to handle. Moreover, they respect Captain Pryce.
Most of the officers are men, and it is implied that this has cultivated an overly masculine environment. The C-Wing, as referred to by Jean Vicquemare, is "made of losers and clock-punchers," and was eventually re-conceptualized as the Major Crimes Unit task force under Harry Du Bois and himself.
When asking Kim about the "pissing competition" between precincts 41 and 57, it can be uncovered that the 41st rivals Precinct 57 as to who was to take charge of police work in Martinaise. Though it is a district both wish to avoid, the feud has been ongoing for three decades and has become a point of pride; neither station wants to lose Martinaise to the other.
The building is a repurposed silk mill shaped like a ladybird with two chimneys, situated atop the Motorway 8/81. Though there are few exact details, the station has a dome roof, uses green desk lamps, has a coffee corner, has stairs, and has a bridge. There are a line of motor garages with armored vehicles. Captain Pryce keeps a horse in the garage.
Members[edit | edit source]
Here is a list of known members of Precinct 41:
- Berdyayeva, unknown (most likely Captain or higher)
- Chad Tillbrook, Junior Officer
- Chester McLaine, Satellite-Officer
- Émile Mollins, Patrol Officer
- De Mettrie, unknown
- Hans Blau, unknown
- Harrier Du Bois, Lieutenant Double-Yefreitor
- Jean Vicquemare, Satellite-Officer
- John McCoy, Lieutenant Double-Yefreitor
- Judit Minot, Patrol Officer
- Jules Pidieu, Communications Officer
- Mack Torson, Sergeant
- Michel Williams, unknown (most likely Patrol Officer)
- Nick Feuerbach, Lieutenant
- Nix Gottlieb, lazareth
- Ptolemaios Pryce, Captain
- Roberts, unknown
- Sundance Fischer, Patrol Officer
- Trant Heidelstam, civilian consultant
There are far more people working in the 41st than listed above.
Here is a list of known former members of Precinct 41:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Precinct 41 is known by other Precincts for the "Jamrock Shuffle," an evidence-gathering technique that prioritizes containers. It was developed by a lieutenant working there.
- Precinct 41 is infamous for its violence; their officers tend to have very high kill counts.
- Precinct 41 referred to as a "hell of a station" by Kim Kitsuragi, who mentions Pryce, McCoy, and Berdyayeva as officers of note from this station; a following Encylopedia passive check adds Roberts, Feuerbach, and De Mettrie to the list.
- At one point, members of Precinct 41 dump a crate of unused badges into the river.
References[edit | edit source]
- KIM KITSURAGI - "But then again..." A faint smile. "It's a legendary district. And a hell of a Station, too. It must be an honour and a curse to work with people like Pryce, McCoy, Berdyayeva..."
ENCYCLOPEDIA - ...Roberts, Feuerbach, De Mettrie... suddenly names from your decomptage flash in your forebrain.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Jamrock is a district of Revachol comprised of the following quarters: Pox, Villalobos, Central Jamrock, Grand-Couron, Old South and the Valley of the Dogs. Learning is great!
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "God..." He sighs. "There are four wings, Harry: A, B, C, and D. We're in C. It's made of losers and clock-punchers. You and I *re-conceptualized* it as a task force. It was a mistake."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Binoclard? Is that how they do things over at the 41st? No wonder your clearance rate is so low."
- YOU - "Okay. So what does the unit *do*?"
JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Do? It's a Major Crimes Unit! We clear the desk of cases so Precinct 41 doesn't look like the worst station in town. We're *shit tier* now, Harry, Because of you."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "That's not true. Jamrock is too big for one precinct. You're just understaffed. And everyone respects the 41st -- you have Captain Pryce."
- AUTHORITY - As you look around this room full of sweaty men, swearing, drinking, spitting out tobacco.... does this look familiar?
YOU - Where have I seen this before?
AUTHORITY - You believe the place was called *Precinct 41* -- It was also filled with (almost exclusively) *men*, sitting on desks, talking shit and wasting time.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Funny apery." Vicquemare finally manages to pull his gloves on. There's a small tear along the inside seam of the left glove. "Male-centric workplace humour. Have you seen him?"
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Yeah -- Major Crimes Unit, under Lieutenants Du Bois and Vicquemare -- ring any bells?"
- YOU - "Talk of this..." (Consider the phrasing) "...pissing competition worries me. What stupidity is this?"
KIM KITSURAGI - "The *cop* kind. Our precincts can't decide if Martinaise is part of Jamrock or the Industrial Harbour. *Yours* or *mine*, as if we somehow *own* parts of the city. Typical street-gang mentality.... so we've let the Union make a mockery of law enforcement here. And now it's come its natural conclusion."
- YOU - "Ah, so this is a struggle over *who runs Martinaise*!"
KIM KITSURAGI - "Well, sort of. It's less of a matter of who *gets* to police Martinaise than who *has* to. It's an orphan district, in other words..."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "I think the dispatch desk just told both our stations about the hanging. There was quite the brouhaha at the 57th, I can tell you that. 'Time to *settle it*', they said, '*Cop Off*'. But..." He leans in: "I assure you, I am not their *finest* or *toughest*, with *one hundred-and-two cases solved*. What I am is *least interested in a pissing competition*."
- SHIVERS - A line of motor garages with armoured carapaces, hunched in the cold. A mechanic is hard at work, patching up bullet holes in the side of a Courpis '40. These are the garages of Precinct 41. Snow settles on the roof of the re-purposed silk mill that serves as your station. Shivering RCM personnel hurry in and out of the main entrance.
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - Somewhere under the curved roof of a former silk factory, shaped like a ladybird with two chimneys, Police Captain Ptolemy Pryce sits behind a heavy wooden desk. Resident medic Nix Gottlieb pours him coffee. It's silent in the captain's office.
- SHIVERS - Under the evening sky the great district turns on its lights: A chessboard of wooden houses, 80.000 living souls inside. Firetraps as far as the eye can see -- from Main Street to Precinct 41 atop the motorway, to Boogie Street forking into the dark horizon...
- SHIVERS - The Valley of Dogs -- and before it, a familiar dome, like a ladybug without the colours. The building has a designated parking place for *your* carriage.
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Okay -- it's not the Bloody Murder Station. It's an old converted silk mill with green desk lamps and a coffee corner. A lot of good people work there. Hard. Every day."
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - Satellite-Officer Jean Vicquemare rushes down the Precinct stairs, umbrella in hand. It's unopened. He doesn't seem please about the spring rain.
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - Under Precinct 41, where typewriters fire long into the night, and officers walk the great steps and the bridge. Long after the card has landed in the cold shore waters, its writing dissolved. Material disintegrated.
- ESPRIT DE CORPS - Night. Captain Pryce steps into the yard. A piebald horse waits by the motor carriage, chewing oats out of an oat-bag. Seagulls fly overhead. The sky is black. Captain Pryce wears a black suit and a standard patrol coat as he mounts to horse to head home...
- KIM KITSURAGI - "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, it's just a collegial observation. In the 57th we call it the 'Jamrock Shuffle'. Officers from Jamrock's 41st Precinct tend to move a bit erratically."
YOU - "How's that?"
KIM KITSURAGI - "They say it's a scene-clearing technique developed by on of your lieutenants for gathering evidence. It's erratic, yet thorough. Prioritises containers."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Right. Those are your confirmed kills. You've got precisely *three* perforations there."
YOU - "That's not... too many."
KIM KITSURAGI - "For an RCM offer -- especially Precinct 41, which is Jamrock Quarter -- it's rather... tame. I mean that in a good way."
- JEAN VICQUEMARE - "Us? We're the *Bloody Murder Station*, haven't you heard? We're the bad guys. No one likes us."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Police paraphernalia doesn't just wash up on the coast, people. It's not like we dump it at night. She bought it, collected it."
ESPRIT DE CORPS - Station 41. A man carries a crate of rusted, unused badges. "You think these would net us something at the annual auction?" A balding detective drags a comb futilely across his head. "Shit, who'd want those? Just dump them into the river."