The IIR or interisolary reál is the global reserve currency, used along countries under the Moralist International's Reál Belt. It was established five centuries ago by Innocence Franconegro, replacing The Perikarnassian's gold standard. In typography, it's represented by Unicode U+2724, the heavy four balloon-spoked asterisk: ✤.
In Northwest Revachol, the average yearly income for a police officer is ✤ 5.500, without adjusting for rank. The Wild Pines Group, in the year '50 of the current century, booked more than ✤ 20,000,000,000 - twenty billion real - in revenue.
A real is divided into 100 centims. Typically, reals circulate as bank notes, while centims as coins. The notes are coloured black, and typically feature the faces of Innocences on them.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - The IIR or interisolary reál is the global reserve currency. Whatever part of the world you're in right now, it's safe to assume he means you owe him some money.
- THE GREATEST INNOCENCE - Correct! Named the innocence of militarism, he codified hereditary rule -- but at the same time ended serfdom and established the interisolary reál as the global reserve currency. He also established the concept of the Nation.
- THE GREATEST INNOCENCE - Correct! Nothing much is known about him. It's not even clear that he was a *he*, but Franconegro presumed as such and called him Pius. He's depicted as a young man with molten gold pouring out of his mouth -- all he spoke was gold. It's said he *invented* god; and equality of men before god. He also introduced the gold standard as a way for measuring people's love for aurum.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - For the Northwest Region of Revachol, an officer's average yearly income is 5,500 reál (unadjusted for rank).
- JOYCE MESSIER - "I'm not at liberty to discuss the company balance sheet, but I *can* tell you that last year the company booked more than 20 billion reál in revenue."
- SAVOIR FAIRE - Oh, you do. You *make* money. You got gills, baby, meaning those black papers with the faces of the innocences on them. You bring in the Franconegros and the Solas.