René Arnoux is a character in Disco Elysium.
Background[edit | edit source]
Fanatical royalist, ex-army, decorated vet, on and off lover of the beautiful Jeanne-Marie (now deceased) and a life long rival of his neighbour, Gaston Martin. Now at almost eighty years of age spends most of his days playing pétanque with his former arch-nemesis and competitor Gaston, reminiscing about the good old times when king Frissel the First was still in charge. He has things to reminisce about: Rene is a decorated fascist soldier, who participated in the ill-fated attempt to quell the Revolution in Revachol. He was part of the strike force dispatched by King Frissel to quell the uprising in Grand Couron, marching in formation behind Prince Drysant, heir to Frissel. Arnoux is not keen on those days, as the attempt to rout the revolutionaries was a disaster.
The princeling decided to lead his troops dressed in a gown of velvet and gown, with a gold-plated rifle in hand. The far better prepared revolutionaries set up an ambush and opened fire on troops marching single file from almost point-blank range. The slaughter was brief, but intense, claiming the lives of 282 Royal Carabineers, and the Prince was shot off his red stallion, missing his jaw and with numerous flesh wounds. It happened that he fell next to Arnoux, who promptly took him, crawled for over seven kilometers and 48 hours, bringing him back to friendly lines, picked up by the 59th Cavalry. For his deeds, he was awarded the Croix de Bravoure (Cross of Bravery) by the "jawless freak", as Rene took to calling Drysant, and 13 months later, the Setting Sun, for his counter-insurgency efforts.
Rene had little cause for joy, as the Suzerain he served collapsed around him, the Revolution prevailed, and even the Coalition intervention did not cheer him up, as his friend, Gaston Martin, took Jeanne-Marie away from him. He is a bitter, old man, given a spot as a night watchman in the Dockworkers' Union on behalf of Titus Hardie.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Rene offers background lore on the Revacholian branch of the Antecentennial Revolution.
- You can also obtain Medal The Setting Sun from him by first passing a legendary Composure 14 check, which will allow you to learn that he's carrying two special medals: Croix de Bravoure, cross of valor, the highest battlefield decoration, and the Setting Sun, distinguishing seasoned combat veterans serving the King against the Revolution. The check unlocks the ability to learn about his service and the whole situation with the princeling. This will also reveal that Gaston DOES have a bit of respect for his friend.
- Following this investigation with a red legendary Drama check, you can get the aforementioned medal. It's red because, well, old soldiers have a knack for detecting bullshit. If succeeded, you will be able to tell him the story of your epic hangover and reaching beyond THE VEIL. He will offer it to you - sincerely, despite your body declaring he's being sarcastic. Refusing it counts as a Very Honorable Thing.
- Rene will die of heart failure on day 5, and the Royal Carabineer Pants as well as the Royal Carabineer Jacket will be available for pilfering from his post over at the harbor, near the Capeside apartments.
- On your first encounter with Rene and Gaston, you can grab their pétanque boule and throw it (Red Hand-Eye Coordination Medium 10 check). Succeeding will cause them some grief - and also unlock the task to replace their lost boule.