In accordance to its isolationist policy, Seol has maintained a level of distance from the other isolas, not allowing immigrants to its soil. In the early days of interisolary communication, it was known to the Occident as 'Shao', a mysterious and exotic nation. Although available knowledge about Seol has greatly increased, many people still perceive it as 'Shao'.
Seol is said to have very strict cultural norms, as well as a rigid class society and punitive justice system, which have inspired a number of Seolites to leave and integrate into other nations. These migrations, however, end up being perceived as part of a 'Global Seolite Conspiracy' by certain fascists, who believe the Seolite Empire aims to conquer the world, physically and technologically.
Despite its isolation, Seol appears to have been exploited and possibly even colonized by Revachol during the time of the Suzerain, as decorations of Seolite rubies, melchiorite, and lapis lazuli are presente in the noble tombs of La Royaume.
Seol Cité may be the capital of Seol. Its temperature is not available to international broadcasting.
Outside Seol, many alternative medical implements are marketed as 'Seolite' in order to appeal to perceptions of an ancient medicinal knowledge. These products include memory-improving tonics, practices of traditional masters, and "hope catchers".
The Seolite "Invisibles" class is a course that teaches one how to traverse any environment in the most efficient way possible.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Seol is a protectionist, isolationist panisiolary state west of the Insulindian isola. Actually, it's *quite* interesting; some would even say mysterious...
- MAP WALL - The ocean breaks apart into a tangle of cosines and azimuths, all pointing into pale nothingness. *Mundi* is the north azimuth; *Graad* is the northeast azimuth; *Samara* is the east azimuth; *Seol* is the west azimuth. *Isolas*, they're called.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - And the 4,000-year-old Seraseolitic civilization buried so deep in the sediment that you do not even know it is there -- they too did not see me.
- INSULINDIAN PHASMID - Yes -- with stone tools and silk. They too missed me, although I had not developed the mutation needed for parthenogenesis yet, and scoured the neolithic hinterland as distinct individuals, not clones.
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Seol is an *extremely* protectionist isola, inaccessible to the rest of mankind. As it has been for over a thousand years. I have no special knowledge of them, despite my heritage."
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Shao is what the Seolite Empire was called in the Occident, back when far less was known about the people. It was a barbarian Other, ever so mystical, on whom you could project any kind of exotic fantasy. The legend of it persists and a lot of people still think the 'Shao' is a thing.
- KIM KITSURAGI - "But even *I* know that they don't play pinball. They have a rigid class society, and a punitive justice system..." He looks around. "We should continue with our exploration of this place. It doesn't matter."
- GARY, THE CRYPTOFASCIST - "Please, be careful!" He waves his hands energetically. "Don't let on that you know about the Seolite Conspiracy. Who knows what he might do to you..."
- SHIVERS - ...after rubies, melchiorite, lapis lazuli plundered from Safre and Seol during the time of the Suzerain. In the burial chambers of the kings: Grand Old Filippe, Guillaume II, and even in the mausoleum of Filippe the Opulent.
- GARY, THE CRYPTOFASCIST - "I'm so fucking sorry I called you *Yellow Man*." He says silently. "Seolite officers commanded the Suzerain's navy. Most of them sided with the King, when..." He shakes his head.
- COALITION WARSHIP ARCHER - "No, of course not. There are many nations outside the Moralintern's umbrella, in Seol, Samara, and elsewhere. At most you might say the Moralintern represents between a quarter and a third of humanity."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Three-point-six billion, not counting those on Seol."
BLOATED CORPSE OF A DRUNK - You really dropped the ball, Harry. Four point six billion people -- and you failed every single one of them. You really *fucked up*.
- RADIO - "Seol Cité, not available."
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Seol is indeed famous for its advanced microtechnology, and for exporting it to foreign governments. Kijion Eendracht, the owner of Eendracht Airworks, is Seolite...
- BIRD'S NEST ROY - "...is the Harmon Wowshi W02 -- made in Vesper, designed in Seol," he says. "Plays all reel-to-reel formats: 2mm, 8mm, 12mm. It's even got a little radio in there. It'll set you back 12 reál."
- MEDICINAL PURPOSES OF THE PALE - There are a number of Seolite tonics that promise to improve your short-term memory, but nothing that speaks to your condition.
- MEDICINAL PURPOSES OF THE PALE - You come across the following explanation: "While modern pharmacopoeia are continually updated by so-called 'experts' based on the results of 'clinical trials,' readers will find assembled here the timeless wisdom relied upon by generations of traditional Seolite medicine practitioners, Mesque mystics, and Iilmaraan folk doctors."
- PLAISANCE - "Besides, didn't I have some Seolite hope catchers around here somewhere...? I must find them; everything will be alright if I can just find them."
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - It's strange that he doesn't like pinball. Kim here is a Seolite. His people are incredibly dextrous, and they all *love* pinball. Matter of fact...
- TRANT HEIDELSTAM - "In this case I suggest looking into the Seolite *invisibles* class. The word refers to their remarkable ability to traverse any environment in the most efficient way possible. There's this excellent investigative piece of journalism by..."