Steban, the Student Communist is a character in Disco Elysium.
Steban, pseudonym: Nasteb Encalada-Bernal, is a student of Cultural Studies at the École Normale de Revachol. He and Ulixes are the most devoted members of the materialist reading group in Martinaise. Though their intensity and rigor have driven the other members away. The two also wrote an article about the TipTop Tournée from a Critical Mazovian perspective for La Fumée magazine.
His appearance, accent, name, and possession of the Saramirizian Lounge Jacket all seem to suggest he is of Saramirizian origin, though this is not certain. He and Ulixes also appear to enjoy Saramirizian coffee.
As with Ulixes, Steban considers himself an infra-materialist.
- LA FUMÉE, VOL. 1 NO. 4: Oddly enough, this article has *two* bylines: Nasteb Encalada-Bernal and Exilus Bücher.
- STEBAN, THE STUDENT COMMUNIST - "I don't think so." The young man gives you a curious look. "Unless you've been hanging around the Cultural Studies faculty at the École Normale de Revachol..."
- STEBAN, THE STUDENT COMMUNIST - "Yes, a revolutionary *reading* group. The most ideologically advanced materialist reading group in Martinaise. But it sounds like that's news to you..."
- STEBAN, THE STUDENT COMMUNIST - "Intellectual attrition is maybe the best way to describe it. Felix said he couldn't keep up with the reading on top of his classwork. And Zuzanna wanted to read texts *other than* Mazovian theory. Like novels, if you can believe it..."
- LA FUMÉE, VOL. 1 NO. 4: The main feature, though, is a long essay titled 'TipTop Tournée: A Critical Mazovian Perspective'.
- LOGIC - Probably because they're the real names of 'Nasteb' and 'Exilus', the authors of that so-called essay about TipTop Tournée you read in *La Fumée*.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - As you read it you think: that leaves out dark haired Mesque, Sao, Saramirizian, Kedreatic.... Lighter skinned Occidental means this man could be... Vespertine? Oranjese? Messinian. Those three are on the table.
- ECHO MAKER - "I would commit war crimes for some real Saramirizian coffee."
- STEBAN, THE STUDENT COMMUNIST - "But, of course, our *special emphasis* is on the theories of Ignus Nilsen and his followers, especially the infra-materialists."