Human relations are abstract and open for ambiguous interpretation. She says she'll *always* do something. No she won't. She doesn’t have the mechanical wherewithal to last a decade, let alone a lifetime. Machines aren’t like that. You lose compression in a cylinder, you know the head gasket’s busted or the cylinder wall is cracked. Actually, it *could* be that the pistons -- or the piston rings -- are worn. Or maybe valve problems? Wait…
You’re elbow deep in there now -- in what seems to be a motor carriage. A Coupris ‘40. The hood’s off in your mind’s eye and you’re listening. There's that clicky noise. Are the rod bearings *already* done for? Well, if the head's coming off you might as well get that new twin-scroll turbo with the magnesium manifold installed. Some would say it’s overkill to put 200 big ones under that, but this needs to be *solid*, so the rear... Hey, what were we talking about again? What were we *doing*?
Requires 25m research time
- -2 Conceptualization: All you need is torque.
- +2 Interfacing: Magnesium manifolds installed
- You MUST start the game with 3 Encyclopedia or less, if you know what made the noise that woke you up you will be unable to talk to Kim about it later.
- You need at least 2 Logic to recognize the motor carriage as the source of the "infernal noise."
- Do not learn your real name (tell Kim outright that you do not remember your name.)
- Access the Union dock's roof through Cuno's hideout (where your coat is stuck) with 4=> Interfacing and look around. Comment on the brand of the crane after Kim turns to look at it.
- Examine Kim's car, ask, "What are we looking at?" and choose "This must be what woke me up." Exhaust all options.
- Get Encyclopedia to 4 and Interfacing to 6. (The fedora you get from Annette has +1 Encyclopedia and the gloves you get from the "gardener" has +1 Interfacing.) The cursed bookstore and Joyce's reality explanations are great ways to level up.
- Talk to Tommy Le Homme about his lorry. Identify it. (Saying that you like lorries also works.)
- On Day 2, walk past Kim's Motorcar and click the yellow thought orb. Exhaust all dialogue options then select the options then finish the conversation. Kim will ask how you know so much about cars but not your own name. Say, "Yeah, I don't know who I am, but I do know I like cars." If you've done all of the above, you should have the thought prompt by now.