Vesper is known for it's exotic financial derivatives. Averro, SRL, is a chain of high-end pharmacies found only in Vesper and Messina. The Harmon Wowshi W02 boombox is manufactured in Vesper. A Vespertine holding company snatched up the Coupris brand name.
Politics and Government
It's Department of Justice has published a paper on criminal profiling in former socialist states. Systems analysts from Vesper have analyzed and expressed worries about the Revacholian Zone of Control staying up. Vesper's passport is blue and has the Vespertine coat of arms (a lion and an ostrich, sejant) on the cover.
Dick Mullen is a Vespertine crime novel series. Vesper is also known for it's cop shows and spy novels. These cop shows act as influence for many of the RCM's fashions and culture. The Antistar was a Vespertine rock star famous for shooting morphine into one eyeball and cocaine into the other. He would later die as a result of his drug use. The Franconigerian boiadero culture is an appropriation of Vespertine cool. Vespertine proto-expressionism is a major artistic movement from the last century.
The language spoken in Vesper is Vespertine.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - The Republic of Vesper, formerly the Republic of Vesper-Messina, was once a dual kingdom. An amicable parting of ways produced two constitutional monarchies. Vesper, the richer of the two, is an Occidental nation known for its proximity to the pale and its exotic financial derivatives.
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Mondial. Subgroup: Occidental -- as per your observation." YOU - Write it down. THE HANGED MAN - The pudgy mess looks neither *Mondial* nor *Occidental*. It doesn't even look human. The next line says: ENCYCLOPEDIA - As you read it you think: that leaves out dark haired Mesque, Sao, Saramirizian, Kedreatic.... Lighter skinned Occidental means this man could be... Vespertine? Oranjese? Messinian. Those three are on the table.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - Averro, SRL, is a chain of high-end pharmacies found only in Vesper and Messina. They are *much* nicer than your average Frittte.
- BIRD'S NEST ROY - "...is the Harmon Wowshi W02 -- made in Vesper, designed in Seol," he says. "Plays all reel-to-reel formats: 2mm, 8mm, 12mm. It's even got a little radio in there. It'll set you back 12 reál."
- JOYCE MESSIER - "That's not Coupris, dear. It's just a brand name, snatched up by a Vespertine holding company. No, the real Coupris is as dead as the king they bet on."
- JOYCE MESSIER - "The Coalition of Nations. Graad, Mesque, Vesper, Messina, Oranje and Sur-La-Clef -- the armed centre of the world. They landed here and ended the Revolution. It was the *moralist* thing to do."
- TRANT HEIDELSTAM - "I don't know if you're familiar with this, but the Vespertine Department of Justice has published a rather interesting paper on the criminal profiling in former socialist states. Have you read it?"
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Perhaps..." He pauses, deep in thought. "There are people who say the Zone of Control will not hold up long. They're not on the radio -- yet. But there are parties out there..." TRANT HEIDELSTAM - "Yes." His face darkens. "I hear worries -- from systems analysts in Vesper and Messina. International risks departments in banks. People like that."
- JOYCE MESSIER - The woman is silent, smiling while the waves lap against the hull. In your hand, under the plastic -- a light blue passport saying *REPUBLIC OF VESPER*. The coat of arms has a lion and an ostrich, sejant.
- SHELF OF CRIME NOVELS - Shelves filled to the brim with crime novels featuring the supposedly stalwart Vespertine detective, Dick Mullen.
- CALL ME MAÑANA - He shrugs. "It was alright. A little like something out of a Vespertine spy novel, but I must respect the effort."
- KIM KITSURAGI - "Many of the RCM's fashions, even weapon preferences, borrow heavily from classic Vespertine cop shows. My precinct alone has three officers who go by the name *Ace*..."
- SHELF OF BIOGRAPHIES - Next to Irw's life story, you see a slim biography of an Occidental rock star called "The Antistar". He's famous for shooting morphine into one of his eyeballs, and cocaine into the other!
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - The Antistar is (or was) a Vespertine rock and roll star, who liked to do drugs. He did so many drugs he eventually mutated -- into a corpse.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA - It all comes together now, the way he speaks about scabs, his general attitude. He's a follower of a 500-year-old Franconigerian boiadeiro code -- itself an appropriation of Vespertine cool...
- TRANT HEIDELSTAM - "There's an exhibition on Vespertine proto-expressionism that I can't wait to take Mikael to. We're working our way through the major artistic movements of the last cenutry."
- THE DESERTER - On the butt you see Vespertine writing, burnt into the wood: Triangong 4.46 mm, made in Hsin-Yao.